We use cookies on this site to provide some features and analyse our traffic.
We also share information (non-personal and non-identifiable) about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.
By continuing to browse you are agreeing to the use of cookies. Read more about how we use cookies and how to block them
Browse categories >

news & notices

Catch up on the latest news and notices from businesses and organisations in and around Harpenden.

Organise your street party now!


If you’ve been thinking about having a street party this Summer, the time to start organising it is now.  To close your road you simply need to consult your neighbours and apply to Herts County Council at least 6 weeks before your party. 

St Albans is lucky to have its own branch of Hertfordshire voluntary organisation, Our Street Party, which provides support to residents wanting to organise a street party in St Albans, Harpenden or in the villages. They can help you with a sample letter to neighbours, a sample application form and lots of support and information. They can even lend you Road Closed signs on the day, funded by local pub chain, Oakman Inns.

Volunteer, Nicola Wyeth, says “Street parties are not hard to organise and they are so rewarding. Getting to know your neighbours brings so many benefits to you as an individual as well as to the community as a whole.”

Once you’ve applied for the closure, then the fun of organising really begins. You can keep it simple by asking people to bring a picnic or you can have barbecues, bunting, shared food, gazebos, races or a bake-off - why not challenge the other side of the road to a tug-of-war? The list is endless and it’s your party. The only important thing is that you have fun!

To find out more visit www.ourstreetparty.org or email your local contact [email protected].

Share this article with your friends: Twitter Facebook Google+